All men are made of water, do you know this? When you pierce them, the water leaks out and they die.
- A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Horror QQ #9 - Chitchat about dismemberment techniques

Music: TV noise in the background (I should really start locking myself in my room when I write)

I have already quoted something from Darkly Dreaming Dexter and Dexter in the Dark. Now it's time for an excerpt from the second book, Dearly Devoted Dexter. Unfortunately, I do not yet have a copy of Dexter by Design and Dexter is Delicious, so my quotable quotes from the series will have to end here.

No time for mourning though, because I bring you Dexter Morgan once again, with his usual wit and charisma very much intact.

A reasonable being might think that he and I could find some common ground; have a cup of coffee and compare our Passengers, exchange trade talk and chitchat about dismemberment techniques. But no: Doakes wanted me dead. And I found it difficult to share his point of view.

Doakes had been working with Detective LaGuerta at the time of her somewhat suspicious death, and since then his feelings toward me had grown to be a bit more active than simple loathing. Doakes was convinced that I’d had something to do with LaGuerta’s death. This was totally untrue and completely unfair. All I had done was watch—where’s the harm in that? Of course I had helped the real killer escape, but what could you expect? What kind of person would turn in his own brother? Especially when he did such neat work.

Well, live and let live, I always say. Or quite often, anyway. Sergeant Doakes could think what he wanted to think, and that was fine with me. There are still very few laws against thinking, although I’m sure they’re working hard on that in Washington. No, whatever suspicions the good sergeant had about me, he was welcome to them. But now that he had decided to act on his impure thoughts my life was a shambles. Dexter Derailed was fast becoming Dexter Demented.

And why? How had this whole nasty mess begun? All I had done was try to be myself.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead :D I don't bite . . . well, not always.