All men are made of water, do you know this? When you pierce them, the water leaks out and they die.
- A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Horror QQ #12 - An adult wolf has 42 teeth


Music: Mirrors and Smoke by Jars of Clay

About two years ago, I went through a very short "fetish for wolves" phase in my life as a children's books collector. I have no idea why or how it all began, but by the end of my temporary madness, I managed to buy six picture books, which include, but not limited to, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs! By A. Wolf (which I found after digging through piles and piles of children's books in five different Book Sale outlets) and Lon Po Po (a Chinese retelling of Little Red Riding Hood).

One of the books I bought during that phase is Wolves by Emily Gravett, which won the Kate Greenaway Medal in 2006 for its illustrations. (I haven't found a copy of her other book Wolves Don't Bite, but I am not giving up.) Quoting the whole book will not make any sense because the illustrations are what made the book special (and a little scary, if you're a three-year-old). So with the help of ever-reliable Google, I searched for uploaded pages of the book, just so you guys will get a feel of what the story is about.

Credits for the illustrations belong to Emily Gravett. Credits for the scanning/ uploading of the pages on the web belong to the respective scanners/ uploaders.


An adult wolf has 42 teeth. Its jaws are twice as powerful as those of a large dog.

Wolves eat mainly meat. They hunt large prey such as deer, bison and moose.

They also enjoy smaller mammals, like beavers, voles and . . .

(well, you have to read the rest of the book to find out)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead :D I don't bite . . . well, not always.