All men are made of water, do you know this? When you pierce them, the water leaks out and they die.
- A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin

Monday, February 7, 2011

Horror QQ #7 - The ruins of a man

Music: TV noise in the living room

I had dinner with some college friends earlier. Ergo, I was not able to write that reflection for that Sunday preaching...again. To be fair, I don't blame my friends. I have a feeling that even if we didn't meet up, I'd still find an excuse to postpone writing that post.

Anyway.

Time for the daily QQ. This one comes from Leaf Storm by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and I think there's no better way to give a synopsis of the book than by quoting the teaser on the back cover:

Drenched by rain, the town has been decaying ever since the banana company left. Its people are sullen and bitter, so when a doctor -- a foreigner who ended up the most hated man in town -- dies, there is no one to mourn him. But also living in the town is the Colonel, who is bound to honour a promise made many years ago. The Colonel and his family must bury the doctor, despite the inclination of their fellow inhabitants that his corpse be forgotten and left to rot.

So, without further delay, here we go:
Nothing in this world can be more fearsome than the ruins of a man. And those of this citizen of nowhere who sat up in the hammock when he saw us come in were even worse, and he himself seemed to be covered by the coat of dust that covered everything in the room. His head was steely and his hard yellow eyes still had the powerful inner strength that I had seen in them in my house. I had the impression that if we'd scratched him with our nails his body would have fallen apart, turning into a pile of human sawdust. He'd cut his mustache but he hadn't shaved it off. He'd used shears on his beard so that his chin didn't seem to be sown with hard and vigorous sprouts but with soft, white fuzz. Seeing him in the hammock I thought: He doesn't look like a man now. Now he looks like a corpse whose eyes still haven't died.
*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead :D I don't bite . . . well, not always.