All men are made of water, do you know this? When you pierce them, the water leaks out and they die.
- A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Horror QQ #10 - Life's too slippery for books

Music: TV noise in the background

I wanted to quote something from Left Behind by Tim LaHaye, but I couldn't find a nice enough excerpt (or rather, I'm too lazy to go over the whole book again). So I'm quoting something from Thomas Harris's The Silence of the Lambs instead. This is the only Hannibal Lecter novel I've read, although I hope I can read the other books in the future. I haven't seen the movie either (I only saw Hannibal Rising and I didn't really like it), but again, I hope to be able to watch it some other time. In the meantime, I'm quoting one of the many conversations between Clarice and Dr. Lecter, and hope that this will suffice.

"Dr. Bloom saw that coming?"
"He said he did."
"He saw it coming, but he kept it to himself. I see. What do you think, Clarice?"
"I'm not sure."
"You have some psychology, some forensics. Where the two flow together you fish, don't you? Catching anything, Clarice?"
"It's pretty slow so far."
"What do your two disciplines tell you about Buffalo Bill?"
"By the book, he's a sadist."
"Life's too slippery for books, Clarice; anger appears as lust, lupus presents as hives," Dr. Lecter finished sketching his left hand with his right, switched the charcoal and began to sketch his left, and just as well. "Do you mean Dr. Bloom's book?"
"Yes."
"You looked me up in it, didn't you?"
"Yes."
"How did he describe me?"
"A pure sociopath."
"Would you say Dr. Bloom is always right?"
"I'm still waiting for the shallowness of affect."

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead :D I don't bite . . . well, not always.