All men are made of water, do you know this? When you pierce them, the water leaks out and they die.
- A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Horror QQ #15 - Not an aerialist


Music: Dusk and Summer by Dashboard Confessional

True to my promise, here is my second horror QQ for tonight. I wanted to quote something from Odd Thomas, but then I remembered that I lent my copy of the book to a friend and will probably not get it back in a couple more months. And because I'm lazy to look for an excerpt online, I'm quoting something from Life Expectancy instead.

I'm not really afraid of clowns, but for those who are, you might want to skip this novel and search for something more happy-go-lucky instead, like, say, A Series of Unfortunate Events. Pfft. Right.

For an instant, Dad thought Beezo had used a clown gun, some trick firearm that squirted red ink. The doctor dropped to the floor, however, not with comic flair but with hideous finality, and the smell of blood plumed thick, too real.
Beezo turned to Dad and raised the pistol.
In spite of the rumpled porkpie hat and the short-sleeved coat and the bright patch on the seat of his pants, in spite of the white greasepaint and the rouged cheeks, nothing about Konrad Beezo was clownish at that moment. His eyes were those of a jungle cat, and it was easy to imagine that the teeth bared in his snarl were tiger fangs. He loomed, the embodiment of murderous dementia, demonic.
Dad thought that he, too, would be shot, but Beezo said, "Stay out of my way, Rudy Tock. I have no quarrel with you. You're not an aerialist."
- Life Expectancy, Dean Koontz (p.22)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead :D I don't bite . . . well, not always.