All men are made of water, do you know this? When you pierce them, the water leaks out and they die.
- A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sirkulo: an Afterword

Music: Chocolate by Snow Patrol

It was one hell of a ride, that’s for sure.

Except that we’re not actually going to hell, but the opposite direction. And no, I’m not talking about purgatory either, mostly because I don’t believe in it.


I still have mixed feelings about the whole thing. On the one hand, I’m close to furious about the kinks and mistakes that happened—line bloopers by actors, lapel microphone and other technical difficulties, and the feeling that we’re not ready, damn it! On the other hand, I’m happy it’s finally over…and the audience turnout was really good. Add that to the fact that it was an evangelistic play that (hopefully) was able to touch countless lives—then darn it, I’m willing to be forgiving.


Three months of late-night rehearsals, of sweat and blood (literally and figuratively), of hunger pangs and headaches. Half of the time I wanted to give up, walk away and never come back, but of course I never do. Sometimes I want to throw chairs at my actors; instead, I throw them a slipper or two. Once or twice I cried without them knowing, just hid in the comfort room (not much comfort there, I tell you) and wiped away furious tears.


But then I remind myself over and over again that I am not doing this for myself or for anyone else—I’m doing this for the Lord. More than a thespian, more than a director of a play, I am a minister, a servant of God, tasked to lead a bunch of, uhh, diverse young people into producing a play that carries a message about salvation. And I revel in that privilege—that opportunity to serve Him using the talents that He has so graciously given me. I mean, seriously, how many people get the chance to do something they really love and serve the Lord at the same time?


I love theater. I used to tell my friends that if going full-time in theater would give me a stable source of income, I’d do theater all my life. I’m generally shy, more of an introvert, really, but when I’m on stage, saying lines I know by heart, or when I tell an actor how to deliver a line or block a scene, I feel content, like everything and anything in the universe is in its proper order. And working with those young people—no matter how many times I wanted to bite their heads off for always being late for rehearsals or inattentive to my instructions—really, honestly, inspires me. It reminds me of how I was once back when I was just starting to act for a church play (although I can say, sans false humility and all that, that I almost always come on time and I rarely do things that would make my director want to throw a shoe at me), of how inexperienced and so much of a noob I was, and how by God’s grace and the patience of my director, I developed into a half-decent actor who could face a crowd of fifty-or-so people to perform a character that is nothing like me.


I love my actors. Headache-inducing bunch and all, I love them with all my little broken heart can take. And yes, I love myself too. But more than that, I love the Lord. And if theater is the way to serve Him best, then I don't pretty much care about anything else.


If anyone asks me if I’d be willing to do all of that all over again, I’d answer with a resounding YES.


And what do you know? We have another production this coming December. I don’t have any material yet, just bits and pieces swimming in the wasteland called my brain, but with God’s help, I’m sure I’ll figure something out.


After all, that is my job.

17 comments:

  1. HI! i am a pastor's wife based in new york city. I have been looking for the script of sirkulo for a long time ...Thank God I found your blog. Is is possible that you can share the scirpt to me through email? i am praying that you can. I will be very greatfull and so as my church. I will be waiting for your reply. God bless you

    eloisa arroza
    eda229@nyu.edu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eloisa :) Yes, I'll be happy to share the script with you. Please check your FB account for my full, detailed reply :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello po. nice pics. for sure nice play din. i've been looking for the script of sirkulo long time ago. hope you can help me. thanks in advance. i'm a pastor here in laguna. pastorrexjohn@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I am Ariane Austria of Victory Outreach Manila. I would like to ask if you can share with me the script of "Sirkulo" I am the Youth Activity Leader of our Church and I would like to use it for our upcoming drama this December. I once played the role of the aborted daughter when I was 7years old. I am looking forward that you can share the script with me. Thank you very much and Godbless!

    iamayhan@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I've been looking for the script of this Play, would it be possible to share it with me? My group needs it for a Project Stage play and it would help us very much. I would very much appreciate it! Thanks in advance :)

    jmhar94@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for the super late response! I've e-mailed you all already regarding this piece XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good day, May i ask also for a copy of this script... thanks for your help. Godbless..
    joyce_oppus28@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. We presented this play in 2006 in our youth ministry. We plan to do it again this year, however, we couldn't find a copy of the script. Would you help us find a copy? We will use it four our YoungProfessionals ministry's evangelism program. Thank you. God bless.

    mslailanisantos@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to ask for a copy of this play's script. Hope i can have it this day din po. Thank you so much!:))
    kamillesuarez@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Late reply again to the other peeps, but I finally did! Check your inbox! God bless, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to ask for a copy of this play's script. Hope i can have it this day din po. Thank you so much!:))
    joyce_oppus28@yahoo.com
    or on my fb account: joyce juliene

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi!

    I've done Sirkulo many times in college but back then we only had hard copies of the script. May I please request for a copy of the script or a link to where I can get a copy? Our community theater group will be relaunching and I suggested that we do this.. Thanks so much! and God bless!. Please email the copy to ianna_sais@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi gusto ko po sana makahingi ng kopyang script ng sirkulo. para maipresent din po namin siya sa aming church.kasama po ang mga youth ministry.aasahan ko po ang copy na ibibigay po ninyo. maraming salamat po TO GOD BE THE GLORY

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!! Am Bro. Anthony Roquel. Is it possible to email me a copy of the Sirkulo script for our youth group. My email add: anthonyroquel@gmail.com. Please. Thanks in advance. God bless you more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi? Is this blog still active? Can you please also share the script? Here's my email btw.
    erdeguzmanviaje@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi po..can I also get a copy of sirkulo script? Want to do it in our church din po sana..ty po.. jhapaul20@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi I am a drama ministry leader in our church and I would like to do Sirkulo in one of our church evangelistic event. Is it possible to have a copy of the script? Thank you so much and may God bless you even more...
    Here is my email add
    iamgodsgraciuosgift@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead :D I don't bite . . . well, not always.