All men are made of water, do you know this? When you pierce them, the water leaks out and they die.
- A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin

Monday, September 6, 2010

not a people-person

Music: Dancing Through Life from the Wicked soundtrack

"Ask Him to uncover any difficult areas of your personality that may block others from getting closer to you." - Charles Stanley, Into His Presence

Uh-huh.

Reasons why I scare people off:
1. I'm sarcastic most of the time, and the few times I'm not, nobody believes I'm sincere. I think it has something to do with the tone of my voice.
2. I'm cynical and jaded, and I don't believe in happy endings. Or princesses needing knight-in-shining-armors.
3. I am unable to keep a smile on my face for more than five minutes. In simpler words, I frown a lot.
4. I'm moody, I'm messy, and I get senseless. And I'm sadistic. Seriously, literally sadistic.
5. I have a very dry humor. I don't laugh at other people's jokes, and only a few can laugh at mine.
6. Impatient. 'nuff said.
7. I'm frank... brutally frank, bordering to tactless. At least I'm honest.
8. When I tell you I don't like you and I don't want to be friends, I mean it.
9. I appear intimidating to some. I'm not sure if it's the arched eyebrows or the really small, almost chinita eyes.
10. I'm generally not a people-person.

But the Lord is telling me that "A man who has friends must himself be friendly..." (Proverbs 18:24a). Friendly I am not. But he's telling me to work on my friendships with others, so I guess I should start doing that.

Even when it's hard.

Even when I'd rather hibernate than make friends with certain individuals. And I'm not even a polar bear.

Because He's saying that we should love everyone, not just the people we like. So I guess that should be my prayer right now.

Lord, reveal to me any problems in my personality that may block others from getting closer to me. Let me experience Your unconditional love so I can share it with others.

(And please give me the patience to deal with the idiots who would cross my path.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead :D I don't bite . . . well, not always.