All men are made of water, do you know this? When you pierce them, the water leaks out and they die.
- A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

living life to the fullest

Music: Into the Airwaves by Jack's Mannequin

My devotion for today is a great way to start September, I think. The Scripture reading part pointed me to I Thess. 5:1-14, where I was reminded that I am a son (well, daughter, if you want to be gender-specific) of the light and of the day, and that I do not belong to the night or to the darkness. That, and that the Lord will come like a thief in the night, at a time where we least expect it, so we must always be prepared. Always.

Then renowned gospel preacher and evangelist Charles Stanley (yes, I use his Into His Presence devotional) explains the meaning of living life to the fullest, and I quote:

What does living life to the fullest mean to you? Some may picture a life-long dream being fulfilled. Others may think of a comfortable retirement, while many more envision what they can achieve if given enough time. But if you really want to start living life to the fullest, begin with Jesus. He is the fulfillment of all your dreams. In Him, you will find the things you need the most--contentment, love, and friendship.

Living life to the fullest also involves your ability to encourage and support others emotionally through prayer. God commands us to love others. Without a godly love tucked away inside your heart, you cannot successfully encourage someone else. And all of us need encouragement. Let Jesus be the object of your affections; then you find that loving even the unlovely will bring pleasure and encouragement to your heart.

This, of course, forces me to ask myself the question: Am I living my life to the fullest? Am I doing what Jesus wants me to do--to love and support other people, even those who are so hard to get along with? Am I being a good example of what a Christian should be like?

My answer? Not so much.

I'm cynical and jaded, frank and sarcastic, and I posses so dry a humor that sometimes not even my closest friends can appreciate my jokes. I speak my mind, even when I know someone will get hurt or offended, and I find some people so repulsive the mere sight of them makes me cringe in disgust. Then the Lord suddenly reminds me, bam!, I'm supposed to love people, even the repulsive ones. Da-amn.

But the start of a new month promises a new beginning. Hopefully, with God's help, I'll be able to live my life to the fullest, one step at a time.

So to start the month, and hopefully a less-cynical-and-more-appreciative outlook in life, I pray the prayer at the end of the devotion:

I want to live life to the fullest, Lord, and I know that will happen only as I experience Your love. Give me Your love--even for the unlovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead :D I don't bite . . . well, not always.