All men are made of water, do you know this? When you pierce them, the water leaks out and they die.
- A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin

Thursday, November 11, 2010

walkers or zombies or whatchamacallit

Music: Background TV noise (I think Breaking the Magician's Code is on)

Instead of working on my proofreading take-home job, or writing for NaNoWriMo (two weeks gone by and I've barely written 2,000 words...bah, I'm quitting as early as now), or taking some well-needed shut-eye, I watched the premiere of The Walking Dead. Hoorah.

The scene where the main character (I didn't get his name) woke up in a hospital reminded me of the opening scene of 28 Days Later (which is a good thing, since I loved that movie...and no, Cillian Murphy is not the only reason why I did...and no, I did not enjoy 28 Weeks Later as much...and no, I don't have high hopes for a third movie, I mean, come on, 28 Months Later? Seriously?), minus the full frontal nude scene. The part where he stepped out of the hospital against the blinding light reminded me of Blindness (another movie I loved, and no [again], Mark Ruffalo is not the only reason why I did). The rest of the pilot episode reminded me of House of the Dead, Silent Hill, and Resident Evil. Which is not a bad thing, because I love playing House of the Dead in the arcade, and although the arcade version of Silent Hill was pretty easy, its Playstation version never fails to scare the living crap out of me. Oh, and High School of the Dead. Except that this show does not have fan service (yet). Not that it matters, because I'm a girl.

The show looks promising enough, well, at least for someone like me who likes horror/thriller/zombie flicks. I especially love the opening scene where M (I'm calling him M for "main" because I'm too lazy to re-watch the whole thing or search his name in the Internet), or his patrol car, rather, slowly appears to view, running down the deserted highway. My favorite scene, though, will have to be the last part, where the tank radio suddenly crackled and a voice suddenly says, "Hey you, dumbass. Hey you in the tank, feeling cozy in there?" I haven't seen the owner of the voice yet, and still I know I will probably love him later on. Can't say the same for Lorie (sp?), M's wife. One episode, and she's already getting on my nerves. Hoorah?

I wonder how many episodes into the season will the explanation for the existence of the "walkers" be revealed. I hope its not something as cliche as a man-made virus (although I don't know how much more creative the writers could get than that). Of course I've only seen the pilot, so I probably should shut up until I've seen the second one, or at least enough for me to give a decent review of the series. Meh. Never stopped me before.

Here's hoping for a brand new series that I can be addicted to (because Leverage won't be back until December, and Dexter season 5 isn't really working that well for me). I just hope The Walking Dead doesn't make me walk out of, well, whatever room I am in when I watch the next episodes.

Right. I should really get some sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead :D I don't bite . . . well, not always.