All men are made of water, do you know this? When you pierce them, the water leaks out and they die.
- A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin

Sunday, November 21, 2010

bibliophiles, unite! (lit out loud: a literary festival)


Music: Mayroong Nagmamahal by Ogie Cayabyab

I'm going to take a quick break from all the EMO-ness that is my barkada to talk about something I love: books.

More specifically, panel discussions that have something to do with books.

I was fortunate enough to attend the second day of National Book Development Board's Lit Out Loud, the Manila International Literary Festival. What's exciting about the festival is that the organizers "gathered eminent authors and literary agents from around the world as the best writers in the country to talk about books, reading, the writing craft and the business of publishing (Pasion-Flores)."

The first breakout session I attended was about Genre Fiction, and panelists Dean Alfar, Karl de Mesa and Yvette Tan talked about speculative fiction, fantasy, and even horror. Which got me really excited, because I'm a horror chic, I love dystopian novels, and I've been trying to expand my reading list to accommodate titles from the fantasy and spec fic genre (George R.R. Martin, Gregory Maguire, etc.). That, and I'm currently trying to figure out a way to write down a story concept that's been brewing in my head for quite a while now, a dystopian-ish alternate universe which may or may not contain aliens (I haven't quite decided yet). Anywho, the session really encouraged me to continue with what I'm planning to write, especially now I'm reassured that there is an audience for that kind of story.

Then the panelists pointed out that tagalog romance novels sell way more than literary novels, but then, sales does not always automatically translate to success. It all a matter of perspective, they say.

I'm trying not to be discouraged.

The second session I attended was about online writing. Although I didn't enjoy it as much as the Genre Fiction session, I did get to listen to Marne Kilates and Luis Katigbak talk something they're passionate about. Carljoe Javier was also part of the panel, but I haven't really heard about him, not until then. Turns out he's rather popular in the online blogging scene.

*cough*

I suck, I know.

The Graphic Novel session was fun, mostly because Elber Or admitted to having ADHD. That, and Carlo Vergara, of the Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah fame, was an excellent moderator. Throw Marvel inker Gerry Alanguilan into the mix, and BAM! Definitely a fun(ny) session.

But I think I enjoyed the last session the most. It's a "How to Make Book Trailers" session, and I thought it will be all technical (mostly it is, since we were taught how to use the Keynote and Garageband programs, both of which I don't have), but Christopher Cheng read two of his storybooks to us (One Child and the yet-to-be-released-come-2011 Sounds Spooky), and the children's books enthusiast in me just wanted to squeal in delight. I definitely need to get a hold of those books.



I swear, I will write something worth publishing soon. That is, uh, I hope sooner than later. But. Anyway.

Although I wasn't able to attend the Children's Literature and Young Adult Novel sessions, I'm pretty happy with how the day turned out. I learned a lot of things, got to listen to a bunch of great writers, and picked up a few pointers I can use when I finally decide to stop being lazy and actually write something.

Plus, I was able to finish most of Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, during the breaks in between.

A wonderful day indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead :D I don't bite . . . well, not always.