All men are made of water, do you know this? When you pierce them, the water leaks out and they die.
- A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin

Friday, November 26, 2010

christmas eve (a not-really-a-christmas poem)

Music: Natutulog Ba Ang Diyos by Gary Valenciano

While browsing over my old notebook, I found a poem I've written at the back of a baptismal programme two years ago. It was probably one of the last poems I've ever written, and now that I've reread it, I realize that I kind of like what I wrote, despite the fact that it's pretty...uh...pathetic.

It was originally untitled, but I thought of a more or less appropriate title for it now. Revised it a bit, but the general idea is the same.

christmas eve

you put down the phone and mentally pat yourself on the back
for not breaking down
and you close your eyes tight and try not to cry

(still you see his face, oh so vividly)

in your mind you see him boarding that wretched silver bird that will
take him away from you
forever (forever is such a long time)
to a place with no rain nor snow
and the only storms are those made of sand
and you see him plain as day
looking down the black ocean filled with regrets and bitterness
of spending so much time with each other

(still, it is never enough)

and minute after minute he flies farther away
and second after second he slowly forgets your voice that
calmed him many a sleepless nights
and he sees the horizon
and dreams of men and women
in long, flowing robes

and you let the first tear fall
the minute he steps on foreign soil

(still, you know he is not coming back)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead :D I don't bite . . . well, not always.