All men are made of water, do you know this? When you pierce them, the water leaks out and they die.
- A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Experimental Reads: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, The Hunger Games, A Wrinkle in Time, and (gasp!) Twilight

Music: "Maskara" by Eraserheads


To cap off the year, I’m planning to do a marathon of YA reads—one title per week for four weeks, starting December 1. And not just any YA title, but four of the most popular books written by female authors, just so I can compare them with each other.

(I have no idea why I'm posting this now.)

So yes, it goes without saying that I’m including the first book of the Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and (gasp!) Twilight series in the list. The Hunger Games I’ve already read (twice?), but I don’t mind reading it again because I enjoyed it very much. I only read the second book in the HP collection, waaaaaay back in college, and Ginny pissed me off so much I decided not to continue with the series anymore after that. But I’m willing to give it another shot, because a lot of people have told me that the second book is the worst volume in the series. And while my brief encounter with Eclipse (about three to five pages, where Jacob delivered his infamous “Let’s face it. I am hotter than you.” line) changed my perception of vampires and werewolves forever, I figured it would only be logical to include Twilight in the list, and see how many pages it will take before I throw the book against a wall. Literally.

Last but not the least in the list (what?) is A Wrinkle in Time, which is a little different from the first three titles, but famous in its own right. I can’t even remember when I first read the book—three years ago, maybe? But I do remember enjoying it a lot, so I really don’t mind reading it again.

Now I just need someone to lend me his or her copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone and Twilight. Because I don’t want to invest on an HP book until I’m sure I will finish the series, and I definitely do not want to waste money on a Stephanie Meyer title.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead :D I don't bite . . . well, not always.